/* -*- Mode: IDL; tab-width: 2; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 2 -*- */
/* This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
* License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
* file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/. */
* The focus manager deals with all focus related behaviour. Only one element
* in the entire application may have the focus at a time; this element
* receives any keyboard events. While there is only one application-wide
* focused element, each nsIDOMWindow maintains a reference to the element
* that would be focused if the window was active.
* If the window's reference is to a frame element (iframe, browser,
* editor), then the child window contains the element that is currently
* focused. If the window's reference is to a root element, then the root is
* focused. If a window's reference is null, then no element is focused, yet
* the window is still focused.
* The blur event is fired on an element when it loses the application focus.
* After this blur event, if the focus is moving away from a document, two
* additional blur events are fired on the old document and window containing
* the focus respectively.
* When a new document is focused, two focus events are fired on the new
* document and window respectively. Then the focus event is fired on an
* element when it gains the application focus.
* A special case is that the root element may be focused, yet does not
* receive the element focus and blur events. Instead a focus outline may be
* drawn around the document.
* Blur and focus events do not bubble as per the W3C DOM Events spec.
interface nsIFocusManager : nsISupports
* The most active (frontmost) window, or null if no window that is part of
* the application is active. Setting the activeWindow raises it, and
* focuses the current child window's current element, if any. Setting this
* to null or to a non-top-level window throws an NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG
attribute mozIDOMWindowProxy activeWindow;
* The child window within the activeWindow that is focused. This will
* always be activeWindow, a child window of activeWindow or null if no
* child window is focused. Setting the focusedWindow changes the focused
* window and raises the toplevel window it is in. If the current focus
* within the new focusedWindow is a frame element, then the focusedWindow
* will actually be set to the child window and the current element within
* that set as the focused element. This process repeats downwards until a
* non-frame element is found.
attribute mozIDOMWindowProxy focusedWindow;
* The element that is currently focused. This will always be an element
* within the document loaded in focusedWindow or null if no element in that
* document is focused.
readonly attribute Element focusedElement;
* Returns the method that was used to focus the element in window. This
* will either be 0, FLAG_BYMOUSE or FLAG_BYKEY. If window is null, then
* the current focusedWindow will be used by default. This has the result
* of retrieving the method that was used to focus the currently focused
uint32_t getLastFocusMethod(in mozIDOMWindowProxy window);
* Changes the focused element reference within the window containing
* aElement to aElement or potentially redirects it to an anonymous
* descendant of it (e.g., for `<input type="number">` the focus is redirected
* to its descendant `<input type="text">`).
void setFocus(in Element aElement, in unsigned long aFlags);
* Move the focus to another element. If aStartElement is specified, then
* movement is done relative to aStartElement. If aStartElement is null,
* then movement is done relative to the currently focused element. If no
* element is focused, focus the first focusable element within the
* document (or the last focusable element if aType is MOVEFOCUS_END). This
* method is equivalent to setting the focusedElement to the new element.
* Specifying aStartElement and using MOVEFOCUS_LAST is not currently
* If no element is found, and aType is either MOVEFOCUS_ROOT or
* MOVEFOCUS_CARET, then the focus is cleared. If aType is any other value,
* the focus is not changed.
* Returns the element that was focused (see setFocus). The return value
* may be null if focus was moved into a child process.
Element moveFocus(in mozIDOMWindowProxy aWindow,
in Element aStartElement,
in unsigned long aType, in unsigned long aFlags);
* Clears the focused element within aWindow. If the current focusedWindow
* is a descendant of aWindow, sets the current focusedWindow to aWindow.
* @throws NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG if aWindow is null
void clearFocus(in mozIDOMWindowProxy aWindow);
* Returns the currently focused element within aWindow. If aWindow is equal
* to the current value of focusedWindow, then the returned element will be
* the application-wide focused element (the value of focusedElement). The
* return value will be null if no element is focused.
* If aDeep is true, then child frames are traversed and the return value
* may be the element within a child descendant window that is focused. If
* aDeep if false, then the return value will be the frame element if the
* focus is in a child frame.
* aFocusedWindow will be set to the currently focused descendant window of
* aWindow, or to aWindow if aDeep is false. This will be set even if no
* element is focused.
* @throws NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG if aWindow is null
Element getFocusedElementForWindow(in mozIDOMWindowProxy aWindow,
in boolean aDeep,
out mozIDOMWindowProxy aFocusedWindow);
* Moves the selection caret within aWindow to the current focus.
void moveCaretToFocus(in mozIDOMWindowProxy aWindow);
* Check if given element (or potentially a descendant, see setFocus) is
boolean elementIsFocusable(in Element aElement, in unsigned long aFlags);
* Raise the window when switching focus
const unsigned long FLAG_RAISE = 1;
* Do not scroll the element to focus into view. If FLAG_BYELEMENTFOCUS is
* set too, the latter is ignored.
const unsigned long FLAG_NOSCROLL = 2;
* If attempting to change focus in a window that is not focused, do not
* switch focus to that window. Instead, just update the focus within that
* window and leave the application focus as is. This flag will have no
* effect if a child window is focused and an attempt is made to adjust the
* focus in an ancestor, as the frame must be switched in this case.
const unsigned long FLAG_NOSWITCHFRAME = 4;
* This flag is only used when passed to moveFocus. If set, focus is never
* moved to the parent frame of the starting element's document, instead
* iterating around to the beginning of that document again. Child frames
* are navigated as normal.
const unsigned long FLAG_NOPARENTFRAME = 8;
* Focus is changing due to a mouse operation, for instance the mouse was
* clicked on an element.
const unsigned long FLAG_BYMOUSE = 0x1000;
* Focus is changing due to a key operation, for instance pressing the tab
* key. This flag would normally be passed when MOVEFOCUS_FORWARD or
* MOVEFOCUS_BACKWARD is used.
const unsigned long FLAG_BYKEY = 0x2000;
* Focus is changing due to a call to MoveFocus. This flag will be implied
* when MoveFocus is called except when one of the other mechanisms (mouse
* or key) is specified, or when the type is MOVEFOCUS_ROOT or
const unsigned long FLAG_BYMOVEFOCUS = 0x4000;
* Always show the focus ring or other indicator of focus, regardless of
* other state.
const unsigned long FLAG_SHOWRING = 0x100000;
* Focus is changing due to a touch operation that generated a mouse event.
* Normally used in conjunction with FLAG_BYMOUSE.
const unsigned long FLAG_BYTOUCH = 0x200000;
* Focus is changing due to a Element.focus() call.
* This is used to distinguish the Element.focus() call from other focus
* functionalities since we need to factor scroll-margin and scroll-padding
* values into the position where we scroll to the element by the
* Element.focus() call.
* NOTE: This flag is ignored if FLAG_NOSCROLL is set too.
const unsigned long FLAG_BYELEMENTFOCUS = 0x400000;
// these constants are used with the aType argument to MoveFocus
/** move focus forward one element, used when pressing TAB */
const unsigned long MOVEFOCUS_FORWARD = 1;
/** move focus backward one element, used when pressing Shift+TAB */
const unsigned long MOVEFOCUS_BACKWARD = 2;
/** move focus forward to the next frame document, used when pressing F6 */
const unsigned long MOVEFOCUS_FORWARDDOC = 3;
/** move focus forward to the previous frame document, used when pressing Shift+F6 */
const unsigned long MOVEFOCUS_BACKWARDDOC = 4;
/** move focus to the first focusable element */
const unsigned long MOVEFOCUS_FIRST = 5;
/** move focus to the last focusable element */
const unsigned long MOVEFOCUS_LAST = 6;
/** move focus to the root element in the document */
const unsigned long MOVEFOCUS_ROOT = 7;
/** move focus to a link at the position of the caret. This is a special value used to
* focus links as the caret moves over them in caret browsing mode.
const unsigned long MOVEFOCUS_CARET = 8;
/** move focus to the first focusable document */
const unsigned long MOVEFOCUS_FIRSTDOC = 9;
/** move focus to the last focusable document */
const unsigned long MOVEFOCUS_LASTDOC = 10;
* Called when a window has been raised.
[noscript] void windowRaised(in mozIDOMWindowProxy aWindow);
* Called when a window has been lowered.
[noscript] void windowLowered(in mozIDOMWindowProxy aWindow);
* Called when a new document in a window is shown.
* If aNeedsFocus is true, then focus events are expected to be fired on the
* window if this window is in the focused window chain.
[noscript] void windowShown(in mozIDOMWindowProxy aWindow,
in boolean aNeedsFocus);
* Called when a document in a window has been hidden or otherwise can no
* longer accept focus.
[noscript] void windowHidden(in mozIDOMWindowProxy aWindow);
* Fire any events that have been delayed due to synchronized actions.
[noscript] void fireDelayedEvents(in Document aDocument);
* Indicate that a plugin wishes to take the focus. This is similar to a
* normal focus except that the widget focus is not changed. Updating the
* widget focus state is the responsibility of the caller.
[noscript] void focusPlugin(in Element aPlugin);
* Used in a child process to indicate that the parent window is now
* active or deactive.
[noscript] void parentActivated(in mozIDOMWindowProxy aWindow,
in bool active);