/* -*- Mode: C++; tab-width: 2; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 4 -*- */
/* ***** BEGIN LICENSE BLOCK *****
* Version: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1
* The contents of this file are subject to the Mozilla Public License Version
* 1.1 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
* the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
* Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" basis,
* WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
* for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the
* The Original Code is mozilla.org code.
* The Initial Developer of the Original Code is
* Michiel van Leeuwen (email@example.com).
* Portions created by the Initial Developer are Copyright (C) 2004
* the Initial Developer. All Rights Reserved.
* Daniel Witte (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Alternatively, the contents of this file may be used under the terms of
* either the GNU General Public License Version 2 or later (the "GPL"), or
* the GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1 or later (the "LGPL"),
* in which case the provisions of the GPL or the LGPL are applicable instead
* of those above. If you wish to allow use of your version of this file only
* under the terms of either the GPL or the LGPL, and not to allow others to
* use your version of this file under the terms of the MPL, indicate your
* decision by deleting the provisions above and replace them with the notice
* and other provisions required by the GPL or the LGPL. If you do not delete
* the provisions above, a recipient may use your version of this file under
* the terms of any one of the MPL, the GPL or the LGPL.
* ***** END LICENSE BLOCK ***** */
* This interface provides a mechanism to control an output stream
* that takes care not to overwrite an existing target until it is known
* that all writes to the destination succeeded.
* An object that supports this interface is intended to also support
* For example, a file output stream that supports this interface writes to
* a temporary file, and moves it over the original file when |finish| is
* called only if the stream can be successfully closed and all writes
* succeeded. If |finish| is called but something went wrong during
* writing, it will delete the temporary file and not touch the original.
* If the stream is closed by calling |close| directly, or the stream
* goes away, the original file will not be overwritten, and the temporary
* file will be deleted.
* Currently, this interface is implemented only for file output streams.
interface nsISafeOutputStream : nsISupports
* Call this method to close the stream and cause the original target
* to be overwritten. Note: if any call to |write| failed to write out
* all of the data given to it, then calling this method will |close| the
* stream and return failure. Further, if closing the stream fails, this
* method will return failure. The original target will be overwritten only
* if all calls to |write| succeeded and the stream was successfully closed.