/* -*- Mode: C++; tab-width: 2; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 2 -*- */
/* ***** BEGIN LICENSE BLOCK *****
* Version: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1
* The contents of this file are subject to the Mozilla Public License Version
* 1.1 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
* the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
* Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" basis,
* WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
* for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the
* The Original Code is mozilla.org code.
* The Initial Developer of the Original Code is
* Netscape Communications Corporation.
* Portions created by the Initial Developer are Copyright (C) 1998
* the Initial Developer. All Rights Reserved.
* Alternatively, the contents of this file may be used under the terms of
* either of the GNU General Public License Version 2 or later (the "GPL"),
* or the GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1 or later (the "LGPL"),
* in which case the provisions of the GPL or the LGPL are applicable instead
* of those above. If you wish to allow use of your version of this file only
* under the terms of either the GPL or the LGPL, and not to allow others to
* use your version of this file under the terms of the MPL, indicate your
* decision by deleting the provisions above and replace them with the notice
* and other provisions required by the GPL or the LGPL. If you do not delete
* the provisions above, a recipient may use your version of this file under
* the terms of any one of the MPL, the GPL or the LGPL.
* ***** END LICENSE BLOCK ***** */
interface nsIPlaintextEditor : nsISupports
// XXX Why aren't these in nsIEditor?
const long eEditorPlaintextMask = 0x0001; /* only plain text entry is allowed via events */
const long eEditorSingleLineMask = 0x0002; /* enter key and CR-LF handled specially */
const long eEditorPasswordMask = 0x0004; /* text is not entered into content, only a representative character */
const long eEditorReadonlyMask = 0x0008; /* editing events are disabled. Editor may still accept focus. */
const long eEditorDisabledMask = 0x0010; /* all events are disabled (like scrolling). Editor will not accept focus. */
const long eEditorFilterInputMask = 0x0020; /* text input is limited to certain character types, use mFilter */
const long eEditorMailMask = 0x0040; /* use mail-compose editing rules */
const long eEditorUseAsyncUpdatesMask = 0x0080; /* prevent immediate reflows and view refreshes */
const long eEditorEnableWrapHackMask = 0x0100; /* allow the editor to set font: monospace on the root node */
const long eEditorWidgetMask = 0x0200; /* bit for widgets */
const long eEditorNoCSSMask = 0x0400; /* this HTML editor should not create css styles */
const long eEditorAllowInteraction = 0x0800; /* */
const long eEditorDontEchoPassword = 0x1000;
* The valid values for newlines handling.
* Can't change the values unless we remove
* use of the pref.
const long eNewlinesPasteIntact = 0;
const long eNewlinesPasteToFirst = 1;
const long eNewlinesReplaceWithSpaces = 2;
const long eNewlinesStrip = 3;
const long eNewlinesReplaceWithCommas = 4;
const long eNewlinesStripSurroundingWhitespace = 5;
* The length of the contents in characters.
* XXX change this type to 'unsigned long'
readonly attribute long textLength;
* The maximum number of characters allowed.
* default: -1 (unlimited).
attribute long maxTextLength;
/** Get and set the body wrap width.
* Special values:
* 0 = wrap to window width
* -1 = no wrap at all
attribute long wrapWidth;
* Similar to the setter for wrapWidth, but just sets the editor
* internal state without actually changing the content being edited
* to wrap at that column. This should only be used by callers who
* are sure that their content is already set up correctly.
void setWrapColumn(in long aWrapColumn);
/** Get and set newline handling.
* Values are the constants defined above.
attribute long newlineHandling;
* EditorKeyPress consumes a keyevent.
* @param aKeyEvent key event to consume
void handleKeyPress(in nsIDOMKeyEvent aKeyEvent);
* Inserts a string at the current location,
* given by the selection.
* If the selection is not collapsed, the selection is deleted
* and the insertion takes place at the resulting collapsed selection.
* @param aString the string to be inserted
void insertText(in DOMString aStringToInsert);
* Insert a line break into the content model.
* The interpretation of a break is up to the implementation:
* it may enter a character, split a node in the tree, etc.
* This may be more efficient than calling InsertText with a newline.